KSRTC Bus From Ernakulam To Madurai
Madurai is a famous city in Tamil Nadu and home to the Meenakshi Temple. It is also known as the Temple City of India. You can find temples in almost every street in Madurai. The city is called “Thoongaa Nagaram”, which means Sleepless City. You can find coffee/tea shops open at almost any time of day and night.
The city is well connected by buses to all major cities in Tamil Nadu via state government operated and private buses. Kerala state road transport corporation is also running some buses to and from Madurai. Madurai has several bus stands. Most inter-state and overnight buses terminate at Mattuthavani Bus stand.
KSRTC is running a Super Fast service from Ernakulam to Madurai (SF 567) and vice versa. The bus takes the route, Thrippunithura, Vaikom, Kottayam, Kumali, Kambam, Theni.
Reservation facility is available for this bus from Ernakulam. No reservation is available from Madurai.
Online reservation is also available for this service from Ernakulam. One can book the ticket 21 days in advance for the journey. Boarding point is available at Vyttilla, Vaikkom and Kottayam.
Time Table : CLICK HERE
Online Reservation : : CLICK HERE
Photo : Prasanth K Prasad
For any other information regarding this service please contact Ernakulam KSRTC bus depot.
Ph. No: 0484-2360531/2372003
The temple forms the heart and lifeline of the 2500 year old city of Madurai.
The annual 10 day Meenakshi Tirukalyanam festival celebrated during April–May attracts 1 million visitors.
The temple has four Rajagopurams or majestic towers, there are five towers on top of the sanctum sanctorum of the Lord, three on top of the sanctum sanctorum of the Goddess and two golden towers or gopurams, all which have been exquisitely designed and sculptured. All fourteen towers have been segregated based on the stages they are,.
- Nine tier gopurams – four
- Seven tier, Chittirai gopuram – one
- Five tier gopurams – five
- Three tier gopurams – two
- Golden gopurams – two
The corridor surrounding the sanctum the Meenakshi is called kilikoondu Mandapam (“bird cage corridor”). The space was once used to keep green parrots that were trained to utter the name of Meenakshi. There are two large cages full of squawking green parrots.
The Kambatadi Mandapam (“Hall of temple tree”) with its seated Nandi (sacred bull) has various manifestations of Shiva carved and also contains the famous “Marriage of Meenakshi” sculpture. Sculptures of Shiva and Kali trying to out-dance one another are pelted with balls of ghee by devotees. A golden flagstaff with 32 sections symbolizes the human backbone and is surrounded by various gods, including Durga and Siddar.
The Puthu Mandapam (“new hall”) constructed by Tirumala Nayak contains large number of sculptures. It is situated opposite to the east gopuram.
The Ashta Shakthi Mandapam (“Hall of eight goddess”) is the first hall in the entrance of Meenakshi shrine tower near to East Tower. Ashta indicates eight and Shakthi refers to goddess – the hall has statues of eight goddesses.
The gopurams (towers) can be viewed from this hall. The passage was named for eight forms of goddess Sakthi carved on its pillars. Other sculptures and paintings depict the Tiruvilayadal (holy games of Shiva). The sculptures of heroes of Mahabharata, the Pancha pandavas can be seen in the Pancha Pandava Mandapam (Hall of Pandavas).
The Viravasantharaya Mandapam is a large hall with huge corridors. To the south of this hall is the kalyana mandapam, to the south of the pillared hall, is where the marriage of Shiva and Parvati is celebrated every year during the Chithirai Festival in mid-April.
The golden images of Meenakshi and Sundareswarar are carried into the 16th century oonjal mandapam (swing corridor) and placed on the swing every Friday at 5:30 p.m. The shrine has a 3-storied gopuram guarded by two stern dwarapalakas (guardians) and supported by golden, rectangular columns that bear lotus markings. Along the perimeter of the chamber, granite panels of the divine couple are present. The hall is situated in the western bank of the temple tank.
The Mudali Pillai Mandapam or Iruttu Mandapam (Dark hall) is a wide and long hall built by Muthu Pillai during 1613. On the pillars of the halls, there are fine sculptures depicting the story of Shiva taking the form of Bikshadanar to teach the sages a lesson.
The Mangayarkarasi mandapam is a newly built hall situated opposite to the marriage halls and bears the name of saindy queen, Mangayarkarasi who contributed to Saivism and Tamil language. To the south of Mangayarkarasi mandapam lies the Servaikarar Mandapam, a hall built by Marudu brothers in 1795.
The Nagara mandapam (Hall of beating drums) lies opposite to Sundareswarar shrine was built by Achaya Rayar, the minister of Rani Mangammal in 1635. The Kolu Mandapam is a hall for displaying dolls during the Navarathri festival celebrated during September–October. This hall is situated in the second corridor of the Meenakshi shrine at the western side.