If you are not in a hurry to reach your destination and want to slow down the time, then the world’s longest train journeys are your cup of tea. These are the perfect way to learn about the culture as well as traditional diversity of any country and in some cases, topographical diversity also.
Traveling for days and at a slow pace will definitely test your patience, but, in the end, it will leave you with memories of a lifetime. You will live through many stories, which you might narrate throughout your life. The journey through the extreme coldest regions to the hottest ones are not for the faint-hearted.
However, if you are up for any kind of adventure, then don’t hesitate to look at the list of the longest train trips in the world. Here you go with the countdown of these longest train trips.
10. Blue Train: Pretoria to Cape Town (South Africa)
One of the most luxurious and longest train journeys in the world, Blue Train travels in South Africa. During the 2-night journey on this luxury train, tourists can enjoy the comfortable accommodation as well as excellent fine-dining along with the butler service, Cuban Cigars, and gourmet dinners.
With the golden tinted picture windows, you can witness the breathtaking scenery of the diverse African sub-continent. This train is more like a fast-moving five-star hotel, which allows you to treat your eyes to spectacular farmlands, lush forests, and vineyards.
- Route: Pretoria – Kimberley – Cape Town
- Key Stops: Open Mine Museum
- Distance Covered: 1,600 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes
- Train Fair: 10,120 Rand
9. Eastern and Oriental Express: Bangkok (Thailand) to Singapore
Discover the meaning of luxury travel during this extravagant train journey. This 3-night voyage aboard Belmond Eastern and Oriental Express is a great option for solo travelers as well. A trip from Bangkok to Singapore amidst the richly decorated accommodation is among the top 10 longest train journeys in the world. It takes you through the different worlds of ancient wonders and cosmopolitan cities.
Get a glimpse of lush jungles, quaint villages, and breathtaking landscapes while enjoying the afternoon tea or listening to a tinkling piano amidst sumptuous surroundings. This train ride is truly a unique way to experience the remarkable wonders of the route.
- Route: Bangkok – Kanchanaburi – Kuala Kangsar – Singapore
- Key Stops: River Kwai Bridge, Thai-Burma Railway Museum, Labu Kabong
- Distance Covered: 2,019 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes
- Train Fair: US$ 3,121 PP and £1,560 PP
8. The Ghan: Darwin to Adelaide (Australia)
This is a legendary train journey, which offers an amazing opportunity to explore the best of Australia while enjoying all the luxuries. A regionally-inspired menu along with fine wines, The Ghan allows you to delight in the spectacular beauty of the tropical north to the tropical south of Australia.
During the voyage, you will get a glimpse of the remotest reaches of South Australia as well as explore the historic legacy and its unique environment. One of the world’s longest train route maps comprises Alice Springs and Katherine in it. The pristine wilderness of these places can leave you captivated and enchanted.
- Route: Adelaide – Manguri – Marla – Alice Springs – Katherine – Darwin
- Key Stops: Katherine, Alice Springs
- Distance Covered: 2,979 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 6 hours
- Train Fair: $1,919 PP
7. Paris-Moscow Express: Paris (France) to Moscow (Russia)
Paris-Moscow Express travels on the longest trans-European route. The train starts from the French capital, Paris, and along the way, it passes through Germany, Poland, Belarus, and arrives at the Russian capital, Moscow. This train is jacked up at Brest to have its wheel-sets changed from standard European track gauge to Russian gauge, which is an incredible experience.
The train comprises the regular sleeping cars, luxurious VIP deluxe sleeping cars, and a restaurant car. While sipping the hot coffee or tea, you can gaze at the enchanting beauty of Trans Europe. It is one of the longest train journeys in Europe that offers endless panoramas and jaw-dropping views.
- Route: Paris – Berlin – Warsaw – Brest – Minsk – Moscow
- Key Stops: Berlin, Warsaw, Minsk
- Distance Covered: 3,483 km
- Travel Time: 1 day, 14 hours, 47 minutes
- Train Fare: €313 PP (2nd class sleeper), €1145 PP (Business class sleeper)
- Note: You will require a transit visa from Belarus and a tourist visa from Russia to travel on this train.
6. California Zephyr: Emeryville (San Francisco) to Chicago
One of the most beautiful and longest train rides in North America is next on our list that can take you through Reno and Sacramento. Then crosses the Denver and enters into the plains of Nebraska. California Zephyr offers enchanting views of the upper Colorado River Valley and the Western Slope of the Colorado canyon. Along the journey, you will cross the snow-capped Sierra Nevada and climb through the heart of the Rockies.
During the journey of the longest train ride in the USA, you will be able to spot the never-ending beauty of Bonneville Salt Flats, the northern edge of the Ruby Mountains, and the endorheic landform of the Goshute Valley. While savoring the toothsome meals or reading your favorite book, you will get to listen to the gushing Colorado River, Truckee River, and Yuba River. You can marvel at the vivid hues of the Utah Desert. California Zephyr is the best way to experience the true majesty of America.
- Route: Emeryville – Salt Lake City – Denver – Omaha – Chicago
- Key Stops: Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Denver, Glenwood Springs, Burlington
- Distance Covered: 3,924 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes
- Train fare: $134 PP up to $235 PP
5. Vivek Express: Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari (India)
The next on the list is the Vivek Express, which can take you from the northeastern region of India, Dibrugarh to the southernmost region of the country, Kanyakumari. With the 80-plus hours of the trip, Vivek Express is the longest train journey in India. Travels through 7 Indian states, Vivek Express comprises AC coaches, sleeper coaches, unreserved coaches, and catering facilities.
During the train journey, you travel through the sweeping villages, varied landscapes, and the coastal region of the country. The journey starts in Kanyakumari, which is also known as Cape – the southernmost tip of India where the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean meet. You can experience the hidden beauty of India in the daylight and get a glimpse of the cultural diversity of the county along the journey.
- Route: Dibrugarh – Dimapur – Guwahati – Kokrajhar – New Jalpaiguri – Malda Town – Asansol – Cuttack – Bhubaneswar – Visakhapatnam – Rajahmundry – Vijayawada – Salem – Coimbatore – Ernakulam – Kollam – Trivandrum – Kanyakumari
- Key Stops: Guwahati, New Jalpaiguri, Bhubaneshwar, Vijayawada, Coimbatore, Trivandrum
- Distance Covered: 4,219 km
- Travel Time: 3 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes
- Train Fare: INR 2810 PP (for 2nd AC), INR 1935 PP (for 3rd AC), INR 730 PP (sleeper class)
Note: Only major destinations of the route are mentioned. There is a total of 57 halts on the train journey.
4. Indian Pacific: Sydney to Perth (Australia)
Indian Pacific makes it on the list of the world’s longest train journeys. Traveling from one coast to another and making an epic transcontinental crossing, the Indian Pacific train offers you a fabled journey. This eastbound voyage transforms the majestic views of your window from skyscrapers to the forested valleys, sandstone cliffs, and to spectacular landscapes. You will cross the stunning Blue Mountains, the arid region of South Wales, and a desert landscape of Broken Hill. Also, explore the Living Desert Sculptures and Pro Hart gallery during the one-hour tour in Broken Hill.
Savor the regionally inspired meals and enjoy the luxurious journey onboard. Marvel at the remotest landscape of Rawlinna and Barossa Valley while enjoying the culinary delights of Hahndorf. Indian Pacific is a ‘bucket list’ experience, which one must take once in a lifetime.
- Route: Sydney – Broken Hill – Adelaide – Cook – Rawlinna – Perth
- Key Stops: Broken Hill, Barossa Valley, Nullarbor Plain
- Distance Covered: 4,352 km
- Travel Time: 4 days, 30 hours
- Train Fare: From $1819 PP
3. Shanghai to Lhasa (China)
Renowned as Z164, Shanghai to Lhasa train is not only the longest train ride in China, however, it is one of the longest train trips in the world. Traveling across eight provinces of China, the Shanghai-Lhasa train travels amid the mountainous terrains and allows you to marvel at the scenic beauty of this vast country. Delight in the awe-inspiring landscapes while savoring the traditional Tibetan and Chinese cuisines is an experience on its own.
This is one of the most scenic train journeys in the world, which runs from the lower plains to higher plateaus. You can enjoy the breathtaking view of the Qinghai Lake, Tanggula Mountains, and Nagchu Grasslands during the voyage. The train is also equipped with an oxygen supply system as the high-altitude region like Lhasa has a lower oxygen level as compared to the plains.
- Route: Shanghai – Suzhou – Wuxi – Nanjing – Bengbu – Xuzhou – Zhengzhou – Xi’an – Lanzhou – Xining – Delingha – Golmud – Anduo – Nagchu – Lhasa
- Key Stops: Suzhou, Xi’an, Lanzhou, Golmud, Nagchu
- Distance Covered: 4,373 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 30 hours
- Train Fare: CNY 1,310.5 (Soft sleeper), CNY 841.5 (Hard Sleeper), CNY 402.5 (Hard Seat)
- Note: Tibet Travel Permit is mandatory for international as well as domestic passengers.
2. The Canadian: Toronto to Vancouver (Canada)
One of the greatest train journeys across the globe, The Canadian is one of the longest train route in the world. This trans-continental train takes 4 nights to reach Vancouver from Toronto. Traveling on the historic route of Canada and passing through the endless fields of prairies, beautiful carves of Rockies, and serene West Coast.
Take a sip of your favorite wine or the world’s finest coffees and gaze at the enchanting view of the blue skies, bright yellow fields of canola, or placid coastlines of Vancouver. This train journey is the perfect way to get a glimpse of the true beauty of Canada.
- Route: Toronto – Sudbury – Sioux Lookout – Winnipeg – Saskatoon – Edmonton – Kamloops – Jasper – Vancouver
- Key Stops: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Jasper
- Distance Covered: 4,446 km
- Travel Time: 3 days, 12 hours
- Train Fair: $4,655 PP (Prestige), $1,785 PP (Sleeper plus Class), $444 PP (Economy)
1. Trans-Siberian: Moscow to Vladivostok (Russia)
Traveling more than 10,000 km in nearly a week and crossing time zone after time zone, Trans-Siberian is the longest passenger train journey in the world. This is an extraordinary journey and absolutely a great way to explore the vastness of the largest country in the world. Constantly changing landscapes of Russia, China, and Mongolia as well as the endless beauty of Siberia will leave you spellbound. This epic adventure will surely test your patience but if you are open to this incredible adventure, then it will be a ride of a lifetime for you.
While traveling across the Trans-Siberian route, the train crosses the 16 major rivers, 497 bridges, 87 major cities, 876 stations, 3 countries, and 2 continents. You will cross a whopping number of 8 time zones while traveling on this route. This train journey is a time machine, while traveling from east to west, you will be traveling backward in the time zone.
- Route: Moscow – St. Petersburg – Perm – Yekaterinburg, Omsk – Novosibirsk – Krasnoyarsk – Irkutsk – Ulan De – Naushki (Russian Border) – Suhe Bator (Mongolian Border) – Ulan Bator – Dzamin Uud (Mongolian Border) – Erlian (Chinese Border) – Zabaikalsk (Russian Border) – Manzhouli (Chinese Border) – Harbin – Beijing – Khabarovsk – Vladivostok
- Key Stops: Perm, Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Ulan Bator, Beijing, and Khabarovsk.
- Distance Covered: 10,214 km
- Travel Time: 7 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes
- Train Fair: $805 PP (2nd Class Bunk), $1,600 PP (1st Class)
Isn’t this list of longest train rides in the world interesting? So, what are you waiting for? Fly to your favorite country, book the train tickets, and embark on the journey of a lifetime. These are once in a lifetime experience, which can surely give you a bucket full of memories that you can cherish always.
Which one of them looks most fascinating to you? Share your type of dream train trip with us!
Written By – Thusharika, Source – indianluxurytrains.