North Paravur, formerly known as Parur is a municipality in Ernakulam district in the Indian state of Kerala. It is a northern suburb of the city of Kochi and is situated around 20 km from the city centre. The coastal highway NH-66 Panvel-Kanyakumari passes through this historic town. The National Waterway – 3 Kollam – Kottapuram passes through the west end of the taluk.
The name Paravur is derived from Parayur. This is one of the 64 villages created by Parashurama. This town had been an old trading post, has a Jewish synagogue and had a thriving Jewish community before their conversion to Syrian Christians in the first century and their resettlement in Israel after its establishment. Cochin Jews lived in the towns of Kochi and North Paravur.
Visuals taken from KSRTC Depot North Paravoor – VIDEO
The various denominations of modern Saint Thomas Christians ascribe their unwritten tradition to the end of the 2nd century and believe that Thomas landed at Maliankara village in Paravur Taluk in AD 52. In AD 52 (St. Thomas) founded the churches popularly known as Ezharappallikal(seven and half churches). Two of such churches are at Parur (Kottakkaavu) and Kodungallur.
Paravur derived its name from ancient name parayur, which literally means the place of paravar, an ancient tribe. Paravar were the major inhabitants of the coastal areas of Kerala especially near the ancient capital mohodayapuram of chera dynasty. Descriptions about paravar can be found in sangha literature. Paravur was under the administration of Paravur king. Vypin was also in Parur. Paravur king joined with Kochi country, but later Parur transferred to the Travancore area (1864) as part of an agreement.
The taluk was divided into Paravur and Alangad. Alangad comprised most parts of present-day Aluva taluk. At that period Paravur area included Puthenchira, Mala area of Chalakudy taluk. Muziris in Pattanam was the centre of Indian spice trade for many centuries, and was known to the Yavanas (Greeks) as well as Romans, Jews, Arabs, and Chinese since ancient times.
Kochi rose to significance as a trading centre after the port at Muziris destroyed by massive flooding of the river Periyar in 1341. It was told till that time the Periyar River had a width of Cherai to Munambam. The mud and sand literally destroyed this natural port and the whole City along with its wealth went below the mud and sand.
Chendamangalam a historical place is also in Paravur. Chendamangalam was the place of Paliath Achans who was the ministers of Kochi kings. Now There is a palace of paliath family in Chendamangalam. Chavara monastery is in Koonammavu. North Paravur municipality is one among the former municipalities in Ernakulam District. Today it is a populated residential town in Ernakulam district due to its historical importance. Gothuruth, an island in Parur is the birthplace of the traditional Kerala art form of Chavittunatakam.
KL-42 is the RTO code for Paravur Taluk, Vypin and North Paravur. Paravur JRTO is situated at Perumpadanna. There is a KSRTC Subdepot, Private Limited Stop bus stand and a Private bus stand in the town conducting services to all important places of Kerala. There is frequent bus services to Ernakulam, Malabar from here. The nearest railway station is Aluva 16 km away. The Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery is about 20 km away from the town. There is frequent boats and ferry services in the nearby rivers and lagoons.
Every year boat races are organised in different parts of Paravur and major one is North Paravur water race. Paravur is famous for tug of wars. Volleyball is a popular game in Paravur. There is a municipal stadium in Paravur and FACT ground in Eloor. There are plans to build a swimming pond in taluk. There is a municipal park in Pullamkulam, near to Peruvaram which is well maintained.