Wi-Fi-enabled Mysuru buses to offer free Net connectivity
Commuters in city buses here will soon have free access to the internet. The KSRTC unit here will be the first city transport authority in the state to set up Wi-Fi modems in buses.
Mysuru city has 430 city buses, including luxury ones, that ply on different routes and more than half the city population travels by it. Every day, thousands of tourists come to the Heritage City and use the city buses and students with bus passes also travel by them.
If all goes according to plan, all city buses will start providing free internet from February first week. Every city bus will have a separate modem to transmit data to commuters. Commuters can access current affairs, online news and video accessible web portals but won’t be able to access social networking sites and porn websites will be blocked. It’ll be like the internet access available in the railway station.
Commuters can get connected to the city bus Wi-Fi modem with a One Time Password (OTP) and after the launch of Mitra application, the link will be made available to get accessibility.
KSRTC City transport division controller KH Srinivas said: “The main intention of setting up modems is to be entertained while travelling and draw a large number of commuters to public transportation. The internet access will be completely free for commuters.”
The project has been handed to private company KPIT, which is the authority sponsored project. The work has been initiated and by the month-end it’ll be completed and officially inaugurated next month, Srinivas said.
Omkar, an engineering student, said: “It is a good initiative. The commuters won’t be bored if we’re caught in traffic. It’s also a good move by blocking social networking sites as most youths are addicted to it. It’ll help us get updated about news, etc.”
Steps to connect
* Turn on Wi-Fi on your smartphone
* Connect to Citybus Wi-Fi network from list of connections available
* After phone is connected to the Wi-Fi, it will open Chrome browser and open any website
* You’ll see a page asking for mobile number, enter your 10-digit phone number and you’ll get a four-digit One Time Password
* Enter OTP you receive on your phone on the next screen and click verify
* You’ll be connected to network
* Mysuru city population is 12 lakh
* 430 city buses, including luxury buses
* Every day, over 53,000 students travel in city buses
* Over six engineering colleges, two medical colleges and University of Mysore
* Daily bus service starts at 5am
* Bus service to tourist places like Chamundi Hills, Srirangapatna and Krishna Raja Sagar Dam