Airport-model busport to be set up in Trivandrum and Kozhikode
Kerala has been included in the project to build airport-model busports across the country. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has finalised the design of the project.
The 5-acre land owned by KSRTC near the airport in Enjakkal on the National Highways will be utilized for the busport in Thiruvananthapuram. Minister AK Saseendran said that the land was already taken over for the inter-state bus terminal. The state government gave the project proposal of the busport to the central government. The busport at Malaparamba in Kozhikode is also under consideration.
The project to be implemented by the central government plans to install at least one busport in every state with all advanced facilities. 40 per cent of the project expenses will be fulfilled by the Center. The remaining 60 per cent should be collected through public – private partnership. More shelters will be installed, if funds are available.
The main condition of the project is to allow the buses of private operators in the port. The Center has also said that the project will be implemented only if private operators are also allowed.
Minister Saseendran also said that final decision will be taken only after holding talks with the chief minister. He also said that the project instruction for the port at Malaparamba will be decided at the meeting to be held in Kozhikode on Wednesday.
According to the project proposed by the Center, the states could either develop the existing bus stations or build new ones. The ports should have bus bays, ticket counters, food courts, rest rooms, drinking water, toilets, parking facility for private buses and also service centers.
The project will be managed by National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDC) under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. The nodal officer in the state will be KSRTC MD Tomin J Thachankary.