What is the approximate salary of a loco pilot in Indian Railways?
Being a Loco Pilot is one of the most challenging jobs, requiring both mental as well as physical well being. You gotta concentrate 8-9hours at a stretch for this. Generally, Loco Pilots clear ITI in Electrical and appear a test. Later on clearing it, they’re appointed as Assistant loco pilots. After that, they lead Freight trains and then passenger trains for a decent 6-7 years. Hauling an Express/Mail needs at least 10 odd years of experience in it. The ones who lead premium trains like Rajdhani, Duronto, Shatabdi etc are the most experienced ones.
The initial post in this category is Assistant Loco Pilot. He is appointed in Level 2 Pay Scale of 7th CPC (equivalent to Grade Pay Rs.1900/).
Initially a Assistant Loco Pilot (ALP) will get salary as follows:—
1) Basic Pay… … … … … … Rs.19900.
2) D.A. @ 7% at present… Rs. 1393.
3) HRA @ 8 or 16 or 24% of your Basic Pay, depending upon the place/city of your posting.
4) Transport Allowance… … Rs 900/ or 1800/ plus D.A. on it, it also depends on your place of posting.
5) Running Allowance… … Rs 3/ per Kms. approx. Averagely an ALP/LP of Goods train runs about 6000/ Kms per month.
6) Night Duty Allowance… … for the duties between 22.00 hrs to 06.00 hrs of next day (10 pm to 6 am).
7) Over time Allowance… … If you have to work more than stipulated hours per week as per ‘Hours of Employment Regulations’ of Railways.
Now you can sum up. I think minimum of Rs. 40,000/ pm. A Mail/Express Loco Pilot after 10 to 15 years of service gets a Salary of more than One Lac.