Mavelikkara and Aluva Regional Workshops of Kerala State Road Transport Corporation has started making buses on Ashok Leyland Chassis. The new set of 500 chassis includes more number of Ashok Leyland, which is of Viking BS3 (IL Mech) chassis.
This bus is having an H Series – 6 cylinder turbocharged intercooled diesel BS3 engine with 160 HP and 6+1 gears.
Viking BS3 (IL Mech) Specifications
- Engine::H Series – 6 cylinder turbocharged intercooled diesel BS3 with inline FIP and mechanical governor.
- MAximum Power:: 160 HP (118 kw) @ 2400 rpm
- Maximum Torque:: 550 NM (56 mkg) @ 1500 – 1700 rpm
- Gearbox:: 6 speed overdrive Synchromesh / 5 speed Synchromesh
- Clutch:: 353 mm Dia Single Plate Dry Type with mechanical actuation
- Rear Axle:: Fully floating, single reduction hypoid axle
- Steering:: Integral Power Steering
- Wheelbase:: 5639 mm (variants – 5334 / 4902 / 3912 mm)
Mavelikkara built buses looks much different from the normal buses coming from Edappal, Kozhikkode and Central. But not as good as the ones built at Aluva. Now all the buses coming in the new series are having a newly designed front grill.