Vehicle overtaking, also known as ‘passing,’ is changing lanes or driving around another vehicle to move past a slower vehicle.
Do not overtake other vehicle unless you are sure that you can do so without placing yourself in a dangerous position.
Many countries consider overtaking on the inside dangerous and therefore designate it a driving offence, however, most countries make the distinction between involuntary undertaking (passing centre side vehicles in heavy traffic) as opposed to the deliberate attempt to pass a slower moving vehicle for one’s own benefit.
The lane used for overtaking another vehicle is almost always a passing lane further from the road shoulder which is to the left in places that drive on the right and to the right in places that drive on the left.
Accident caused by Over Speed Overtaking in Kerala : VIDEO
To overtake other vehicle or rather car overtaking as it is in lane driving, make sure that you are without danger to do so. Follow the tips mentioned below before overtaking:
1. Use the right-turn indicator to signal that you want to overtake. Be sure the way ahead and behind is clear before overtaking.
2. Check out for scooters or motor cycles that may be hidden from view in front of the vehicle you are about to overtake. Watch for vehicles in front that may be turning right.
3. Watch for vehicles in front that may be turning right. Immediately after overtaking, give indicator that you want to get back to the same lane. Get back to the previous lane when you can see all the front of the vehicle you are passing in your rear view mirror. Do not cut off a vehicle by suddenly moving in front of it.
4. Never overtake on curves and road bends
5. Never overtake when you do not have a full view of the road ahead.
6. Never race if the vehicle you are passing speeds up. In this situation get back into your original lane.
While driving on roads with more than one lane, lane changing may be required to overtake another vehicle, to avoid a parked vehicle or when the vehicle ahead slows to turn at an intersection. Proper signal or indicator is very important while changing lanes to ensure safe move.